Friday Five for December 17th, 2010
Ahoy there, and welcome to the Friday Five – the second last Friday Five before Christmas! I hope you’re all taking advantage of the season by stringing up obscene amounts of Christmas lights around your desk and taking extra long lunches to get your shopping done.
If you’re still stumped by what to pick up for your coworker/mother-in-law/dogwalker, take a flip through the Gizmodo Gift Guides – there’s something there for every social stereotype (even your friend with too many cats).
1) Christmas themed Ikea hack! French marketing agency, Agence Nu, hacked an Ikea Expedit shelf into an advent calendar. But that’s not the end of it – every day that they rip into the calendar, they shoot a perspective-style video of it, so that you can see what gift was inside the box for each day. The videos are posted on their Facebook wall. Clever!
2) The inescapable Mark Zuckerberg is finally Time’s Person of the Year. Took them a little while to catch on to this new-fangled Facebook thing, apparently. You can read the full article online (all 10 pages of it), if you’ve got the attention span. Not surprisingly there are some unhappy people about this decision: Huff Po is Team Palin, and Forbes (along with many others) thinks the recognition belongs to WikiLeaks founder, Julian Assange.
3) 2010 retrospectives continue! Gizmodo’s Best Gadgets has been released, the Top 10 Retweets of 2010 are revealed, Smashing Mag wants you to Vote for your Favourite Desktop Wallpapers of 2010, and a very talented editor put together this gorgeous video overview of on-screen inspiration in 2010.
4) Video game news! The XBox360 Kinect has phenomenal sales numbers rolling into the holiday season. It’s sure to be one of the most popular systems under the tree this year, and not just for kids. The first “adults only” game has been released – yes, that means 3D sexy time. Seattlepi.com reviews the game in-depth, with some interesting input from the developers.
5) Grab bag! If you’re job hunting, or will be in the new year, take a read of this article on how to optimize your LinkedIn profile from Mashable. Pretty tumblrs: Fuck Yeah Helvetica, I HART COLOR, convoy. And did anyone else love The 7th Guest computer game back in the late 90s? Me too! Guess what: you can get it on your iPhone!
That’s all for this week! I’ll be back on Christmas Eve with a super special holiday edition of the Friday Five for you to savour while your tyrannical employer forces you to work on what really ought to be a day off. I’ll see you then, and have a fantastic weekend!