Friday Five for January 14th, 2011
Welcome to Friday, everyone! Thrilled to have you with us while we round up some entertaining and educational distractions to help get you through the day. Let’s get this show on the road.
1) Steve Jobs! Oh, Steve Jobs. What’s not to love? Today I’m loving some Steve Jobs comedy – Mashable collects some of Apple’s infamous keynote speeches that have been remixed, and here’s a Muppet Steve Jobs explaining the whereabouts of the white iPhone 4.
2) Indoor projects! It’s cold out and you’re going to be cooped up inside, so you might as well give your home some love. Tackle that pesky junk drawer, cruise the Design*Sponge before and after section for inspiration, make a wine glass chandelier, or buy some excellent hang-ables from the Public School supplies store.
3) Design inspiration! All shapes and sizes – I’m hooked on My Modern Met. It’s a design/art community that features work from artists and designers ranging from 16-year olds with promise to award-winning architects: Singapore’s Arts & Science Museum, landscapes through marbles, and the works of Leo Caillard. Take a peek around, there’s something here for everyone.
4) The Millenium Trilogy! This series of books (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest) was written by Swedish author Stieg Larsson in the early ’00s. Sadly, he died before he could see the final book in print. If you haven’t read the books or seen the Swedish film versions, they’re high-calibre mind candy and very enjoyable. Anyway – a couple of good articles popped up in the National Post this week: Would the real Lisbeth Salander please stand up? and Stieg Larsson’s partner wants to finish writing the series on his behalf.
5) Grab bag! Infographics: how to know if you should share something you find online. Gizmodo profiles a new way to stop online jerks in their tracks. MRI scans that determine your gaming skills (I don’t need an MRI to tell me that I’m horrible at anything more complex than Mario Kart)! Out smart your friends with the Mental Floss Muppet Quiz!
That should be more than enough to get you started! May your afternoon pass quickly and your weekend be fantastic. I’ll see you next week!