Welcome, my legion of lethargic labourers! I honestly don’t know how I’m going to contain this list to five topics, because the internet has been amazing this week. I wasn’t sure how I was going to top last week’s Friday Five, what with the inclusion of the Human Centipede and all, but I think I just might.
1) Internet Justice League. I love nothing more than seeing people who have used the internet for evil getting slapped around in the public eye. Like Judith Griggs of Cooks Source, who knowingly plagiarized writer Monica Gaudio, and was shortly thereafter publicly dragged through the mud via Facebook (Salon breaks it down in detail here). A little bit closer to home, it looks like the new mayor of Toronto made a fake Twitter account and used it trash-talk his competition during the election race, and some other tasks as well – and then got caught. Classy.
2) Blogs! I seem to have stumbled on an abundance of good ones this week: Scouting NY is written by a film location scout in New York City. He posts pictures and the stories behind unique NYC locations. Yanko Design is a web magazine that showcases the best of international design, covering everything from interior design to fashion and technology – and they have a store (hello, Christmas list). And for the food nerds, there’s The Waffleizer – waffle smores, bacon waffles, cornbread…oh my.
3) Blast from the past: way back in the late 1980s in the USSR, this is how they edited images. The video is in Russian and has creepy music, but it’s still interesting. Can anyone translate this for us?
4) However, if you’re currently lacking a rotary scanner and magnetic tape, maybe these articles are more your speed. How to Build a Mobile Website from Smashing Magazine, How Much Does it Cost to Develop an iPhone Application? on stackoverflow, Why You Don’t Like Changes to Your Design on The Oatmeal, and the Belgian Graphic Design section of Veerle’s blog.
5) Remember, remember, the fifth of November, the gunpowder, treason and plot. Alan Moore’s V for Vendetta is one of my favourite comic books (top 3, easily), and if you’ve never read it, today is a great day to pick up a copy at your local comic book store (maybe on your lunch break, and then you could hide out in the bathroom all afternoon reading it and pretend you have food poisoning). If you’re already initiated, here’s some great articles about the comic (and the movie of debatable quality): One Metal details why it’s a must read, V and Terrorism on shadowgalaxy.net, a fantastic interview with Alan Moore on Blather (a massive interview, the contents of the entire thing is here), and the NY Times talks about The Vendetta behind ‘V for Vendetta’.
What did I tell you? Jam packed full of distracting goodness. Hopefully it does the trick. Have a fantastic weekend and I’ll see you next week!